Thursday, April 30, 2009

haven't yet have vignette

The top one is an experiment I did to see if I could make a glaze go over ballpoint pen. The drawing itself is from imagination (and is awful). Overall I think the glazing process was successful, but I think I saturated the glaze with too much color and lost some of the form in the original drawing. The nose originally had alot more shape and the glaze made the lips turn out really red. The bottom one is just some random observation drawings piled on top of one another with a play on words.

Friday, April 24, 2009

soca and such

did these with ballpoint pen. the statue head was a mixed media experiment (w/ notes on how I did it and what happened).

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

new painting

Did this on Rives Bfk. It's acrylic done entirely witha palette knife. Got the inspiration from something I did quite a while ago in my sketchbook about "Blind Oedipus Rex" but never got around to making a finished piece out of it.

Friday, April 17, 2009

today's sketches

What an awesome day to have been outside. I sketched around a little today and went to SOCA's figure drawing session.

I was cutting across campus to get some food and low and behold there was a percussionist stage-cage-thing set up behind the Hibbs bldg. There were 4 or 5 members playing home made percussive instruments like trashcans, coat hangers, and bike wheels. It was so random! I did my best to sketch them in action but they didn't sit still at all, they were constantly changing seats and swapping instruments. Afterwards one of the members came over and asked to see what I had been drawing. He flipped when he saw it and had the other members come over and check it out. They asked if they could have the sketch, but I had some important stuff on the other side of the page so I sent it to him in an email, free of charge. I figure it made us even since they had just entertained me so much with there little stage set up.

One last revision before I turn it in

added some textures and a bit more contrast. Also I tweaked the colors of the figure as well. hopefully I'm done with this project, so I can move on to the 1.23975498735980 Billion other things I have to finish before the end of the semester.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Honors Studio!...and a Digital Piece!

Just got the word today that I got accepted into the Communication Arts Honors Studio program next semester. Apparently each of us that were accepted get our own studio space and the class is pretty much self driven projects geared toward grooming us for work at the professional level. I am so stoked and honored to get accepted. Plus a lot of really cool people got into the class as well, so next semester is going to be awesome. Hopefully it will be a positive and a creatively challenging environment. Congrats to everyone else that got in as well. Cheers!

Oh yeah and here is the latest illustration I've completed in Digital Drawing. We had to illustrate a folktale and I chose the tale of John Henry. I tried to do this in an early American style in what I would imagine would make a decent book cover, but I don't think I quite pulled it off. I kept the hard edges on the figure so he would be the main focus, and kept everything else somewhat soft and painterly.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

in between digital assignments, this fell into my sketchbook

Geez, with digital drawing, 2D animation, and Scientific Illustration I'm sure getting my fill of Photoshop. Felt like drawing in pencil from my messed up brain.

Friday, April 10, 2009


Botanical Illustration

Did this for my Scientific Illustration class. It was a botanical project in which we had to illustrate a plant/fruit/or vegetable's lifecycle or feeding cycle. We had to dissect our specimens and show how they work from the inside out. I did the anatomy of a nectarine. This is the revised piece with no text (besides the title and the anatomy), in the one I showed for critique I had a lot of little factoids about the nectarine and its origin, but I was told it was too distracting from the image. I did this with watercolor and ink, and the text was done in photoshop.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Fish Organs Study

Continuing with our dissected specimen studies, here are the organs of the mullet fish. I did this drawing with prismacolor colored pencils and touches of white gouache for highlights.

Friday, April 3, 2009

fish muscle study

Did this for my Scientific Illustration Class. We have to do 3 well rendered studies of a dissected specimen (minimum of 4 hours per study). I dissected a mullet fish (apparently it's the only fish with a gizzard!). I had my friend Jay helped me with the dissection because he's good at that sort of thing...I would have ruined the fish. We have to do 1 study in color, 1 b&w, and 1 mixed media, of the muscle/fat, organs, and vascular/nerve system all from life or our own photo references. I did this with watercolor.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

sketch of the day 1

Some Fan Art

I freakin love the show "Dexter". So I felt some lame fan art was in order. Did this really quick with brushpens and fw inks. Watch the show!