Monday, February 6, 2012

Year of the Dragon



Latest 2-pager for Richmond Magazine. This one was about the Chinese Year of the Dragon coinciding with the political candidates racing toward the election. The AD Steve Hedberg initially wanted a more daring illustration with the candidate's heads adorning dragon bodies, but once he saw the sketches, he decided it was too "creepy". So I reworked the sketch to a rough version of the final you see here and got the 'green-light' to go ahead. The political candidates I was asked to showcase were Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen. Instead of human heads, I went with the Democratic Donkey and the Republican Elephant as heads to the dragons. Thanks to Steve and all the guys at Richmond Magazine for keeping me busy!

Here's my initial "creepy" concept sketches.

2 comments:

MysteriousDelerious said...

Working for the Richmond mag now? that's awesome, how've you been?

Rendez said...

I've been good man. I'm not working for them full time, but doing freelance illustrations for them pretty regularly. How about you? Still making art?